Monday, February 20, 2017

Week 2

The meeting in Phoenix was quite eye opening. Even though the curriculum was intended for me and other teenagers,  I could see that the adults in the room and sponsors were equally astonished by the statistics about teen dating abuse and some of its root causes that were found in the curriculum. Bloom365 delivers their curriculum in seven doses over the span of seven school days. The first 2 steps are some instances of teen dating abuse and its root causes. The next 3 steps engage with introspection, so the teens can see how they may have been affected by abusive behavior, or how they have been survivors or bystanders to abusive behavior. The last 2 steps deal with engaging in proper and respectful behavior with your partner and your peers. In specific, the last two steps discuss coercion/rape, sexual safety, and healthy relationship habits. These last two steps will be where I am focusing my research on. I will be surveying children on variety of different topics discussed in the Bloom365 curriculum in order to see what teens know before they receive any formal education. By seeing the flaws that some teens in Arizona have regarding topics of health and sex, I will be able to aid Bloom365 in enhancing their curriculum for their target audience. Thereby, I will be able to assist in creating a more suitable and effective health education curriculum for the kids in Arizona. As  I work on constructing the survey for teens and doing further research, I will able to get a firsthand look at Bloom365's curriculum at Barry Goldwater High School this upcoming week!

No comments:

Post a Comment