Friday, February 3, 2017

Hello! My name is Arjun Biju, and I am currently a senior at BASIS Peoria. For my research project, I will be taking a closer look at the current state of health education in Arizona. Health and Sexuality education has always been a highly contested issue. Since education was never enumerated as a federal power, the tenth amendment leaves any form of public education to the states' and people's discretion. Thereby, many states, due to the religious beliefs and social stigmas of legislators and constituents, have chosen to promote and enforce abstinence education as the only option for health education. Similarly, policies such as Arizona's current sex education laws are another example of state legislation preventing individuals from their right to understand and access information about their own health and well-being.This premise is something that I hope to demonstrate with my research. I will be working with higher level researchers at a teen dating abuse awareness organization, Bloom365, in order to build on, critic, and modify their current health education curriculum. I will do this by surveying the students who possess a variety of different levels of education ranging from Health Ed and Abstinence Only to no education at all. I will compile the results, and then proceed to look for gaps in the knowledge and comprehension of the students surveyed. These gaps can then be incorporated into the current health education curriculum offered by Bloom365. Thereby, my research will be able to help further a more suitable and comprehensive health education that meets the needs of students in Arizona.  

No comments:

Post a Comment